SelahAfrik brought you the news on the issue of Gospel artiste and money which showed a perspective to what the attitude of the artiste should be, Wilson Joel, award winning producer and social commentator, has shared a slightly different view.
While Wilson Joel recognizes the ministerial aspect of music, he is also admonishing that the professional aspect should not be silenced. The failure to balance both sides will be at the detriment of the artiste, Wilson Joel posited.
In a series of posts titled “The Gospel is Ministry, the Music is Career”, the prolific producer behind hits such as “Alagbara” and “Miracle Worker” shared his views.
This may be a controversial one, if you don’t like the #TRUTH PLEASE STOP READING NOW
I see a lot of people say “oh I don’t charge” or “Oh or “I am not going to commercialize my music” in the name of being a #GospelMusic artist
1. International Gospel artistes dont come to Nigeria or Ghana or Africa to sing and get a “God bless you” or “Pentecostal handshake” BECAUSE THEY KNOW THIS TRUTH Proverbs 4 : 7
2. You have bills to PAY & not being financially stable can be an embarrassing scenario
3. God wants you to be fruitful. He wants your gift to open doors for you – Gen 1 : 28
4. You’re Judah. You have honor, dont be the last- be the FIRST
5. Whether you like to admit or not, most of the gospel songs you like today are commercial songs…. Yes, it may certainly be anointed BUT it was either catchy or strikes a chord with your innate being
6. Having a technical rider should never be overlooked, that’s how you create or kill your career : Isaiah 28 : 10
8. You should have a basic requirement when invited & asked WHAT YOU WANT AS RENUMERATION. At least ensure your transportation, team & accommodation is taken care of. Don’t leave it to que cera cera. Although there are cases where you won’t ask for a dime and get a fortune reward DON’T ALWAYS PLAY IT FORWARD. You can’t be doing that for ever, when you grow old you may regret it
9. Do very good recordings. Represent yourself well via the quality of your works. Don’t say “The holyspirit will take charge” when you’ve not followed through by being orderly
10. Learn music, publishing,distribution & marketing : The holyspirit don’t go round selling CDs or MP3 for you. You have a sound mind, make God & your Family proud
READ YOUR BIBLE. Don’t go broke being SENTIMENTAL. However, What works for A May not work for B
1. Dear Gospel Artist, you’re not meant to be a DRAG – MONEY & WISDOM IS A DEFENCE 👉Ecclesiastes 7:12
2. What you sing about must be evident in your own life. You don’t sing healing, success or JESUS and it’s not seen in your life 👉 Mark 16 : 17
3. Stop doing #FREE CONCERTS : Do you know how much people Pay to go watch HILLSONG or ELEVATION WORSHIP LIVE CONCERTS? Someone started it 👉 Deuteronomy 8 : 18
4. Stop giving out your #SONGS for FREE!!!! Your music producer may NOT drop their FEES because of that…. NAHHH QUALITY WORKS DON’T UNDERSTAND SENTIMENTS (By the way MIX & MASTER YOUR WORKS WELL) 👉Deuteronomy 8 :18
5. Learn to collaborate a bit more than trying to be Solo. No superstar stays SUPER forever, and this is even kingdom business abi?
7. Singing & adding #JESUS don’t mean you’ll become successful!!! You can’t Scam #GOD! 👉 Someone needs to sing about LOVE, JOY, LIFE & MORE from a Godly perspective. You’re struggling because you’re trying to be like others. That’s why I love TIMI DAKOLO #SELAH
8. Go yẹ into the world and preach the gospel, be innovative, be creative and be dynamic about it. MUSIC MAKES IT EASIER TO PREACH THIS GOSPEL 👉Mark 16 : 15
9. The CHURCH is not your problem,it’s how you present yourself. Are you burdening the church or A PLUS?
10. Put in hard work o! All the A-List Gospel artistes you see today have worked so hard. Nathaniel Bassey played real good Jazz, Sammie okposo owned the gigs in Lagos way back, I’ve served almost every ICON you hear of today
In conclusion, What works in the market place is universal regardless of the sphere! Your music is both SPIRITUAL & COMMERCIAL, there are people who NEED it. Apply Wisdom
OK, I wish you all the best. Whether you’re an aspiring or established gospel music artist…
– Wilson Joel posited.