Sadly one Navy Seal lost his life during the rescue operation due to lack of oxygen.
The 12 boys and their coach went missing on the 23rd of June when they went to explore the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai, after a football match. They spent around nine days trapped on a dry slope in the flooded network without being contacted, and then another week underground while the authorities came up with ideas to get them out.
The first four boys were rescued on Sunday, and another four were brought out by the same team of divers on Monday.
Sunday’s operation took 11 hours, while day two took just 9 hours. On Tuesday, 3 navy seals and a doctor, who had been with the remaining boys and their coach, emerged safely from the cave several hours after they entered.
The news has been greeted by global jubilation and the rescue workers have been lauded by world leaders. Donald Trump tweeted “great job” and Theresa May said: “The world was watching and will be saluting the bravery of all those involved.”
Fifa had previously invited the boys to the world cup final this Sunday but later confirmed that the rescued boys will not be able to attend the World Cup final on Sunday as previously hoped. Doctors have said they need to remain in hospital for at least seven days. Manchester United, who most of the boys support, have invited the boys to Old Trafford next season.
The first batch have been seen by their parents through a glass window but the rest of the boys have been kept in isolation to reduce risk of infection. Two boys among the first batch to be freed, who he said were aged between 14 and 16, had shown possible signs of pneumonia and all had low temperatures when they arrived.
Latest posts by Selah (see all)
- #SelahMusic: Agent Snypa | Special | Feat. Pastor Ruthney [@AgentSnypa] - September 21, 2018
- 45 Anglican Churches Affected By Anambra Flood – Bishop, Diocese of Mbamili Says - September 21, 2018
- #SelahMusicVid: Onome Ovwori (Mr. O) | Oromi | @MrO_Onome - September 21, 2018