But it also seems more commercial than yesteryear.
Some if its deeper meaning seems to have faded against the backdrop of the glitz and glam of the consumer season. Retailers add holiday bling to store fronts and advertisers go into overdrive (and our bank accounts into overdraft) in response.
Following are 7 suggestions that can add more meaning to your holiday celebrations.
The result will be a more profound experience, and perhaps one that will leave you a tad better than you were before: kinder, more generous, deeper, in touch and in tune with what the season is all about.
7 Things You Must Do This Christmas
1. Research the history of the occasion and share what you learn with friends and family.
2. Use the day to connect with people you care deeply about. Get together. Strengthen bonds. Laugh. Talk. Love.
3. Give a creative gift from the heart (something homemade) instead of busting your budget or depleting your life savings, or having to sell a kidney for the money. My favorite was a financially tight Christmas years ago when we all made Christmas ornaments for each other as gifts. We still use them today!
4. Instead of giving gifts (except, perhaps for the younger kids), use the money you would have spent on each other and donate it to a good cause. But make this a family decision – no dictatorial proclamations, or you may be adding a very different kind of meaning to this holiday than the one intended!
5. Volunteer at a homeless shelter or food bank.
6. Create a stocking full of treats and gifts and place it (them) on a doorstep of someone you know has lost their job or has no family.
7. Deliver a food basket to a homeless person.
Read Complete article; 25 Tips for Making Christmas More Meaningful at meanttobehappy.com
Connect With SelahAfrik
Latest posts by Alex Amos (see all)
- #SelahMusic: Shekinah | Chioma | Feat. Dellyosh [@shekinahtee] - September 5, 2019
- Tim Godfrey At 40: Photos From Novelty Match Featuring Akpororo, Timi Dakolo, AY Comedian, Pita & More - August 28, 2019
- #SelahMusicVid: Chris Shalom | Asante Yesu [@shalom_chris] - July 21, 2019